1942 EMD Model 40
The four-wheel diesel switcher Model 40 was built for the U.S. Army, numbered 7954, and sent to the Maynard Ammunition Back-Up Storage Plant.
It was sold in 1947 to Sanderson & Porter Construction Co., and by 1948 was in use by S&P Construction in building
the West Penn Power Co. Mitchell Generating Station in Courtney, PA. In 1956, the EMD was transferred to WPP's
Springdale Station in Springdale, PA. Last used regularly in 1974. Possibly stored in Springdale until donation
to Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum, where it was renumbered #101. On loan to WSRR beginning in 2001, and
purchased by WSRR in 2008.
One of only 11 built by the Electro-Motive Corp. as a means of trying to enter the "vest pocket" industrial switcher market.